Butters

Anger Acceptable for Atheists

Any time anger is unacceptable, there is a problem.

And it goes both ways. As I am sure you'll admit, there are plenty of atheists that take things too far, i.e., trying to ban even the mention of religion by anyone n a public setting.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Why should atheists deserve anything special? I think *everyone* should be ashamed of the amount of religous persecution that has previously occurred and angry about all of it that happens today.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Why should atheists deserve anything special? I think *everyone* should be ashamed of the amount of religous persecution that has previously occurred and angry about all of it that happens today.

Blues,
Dave

Do you believe that black Americans deserve anything special?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

<>

Fixed it.

There's the point. I stated that it goes both ways.

There are extremists on both sides and I abhor them regardless of what side I'm on.

You've got Bible-thumpers who believe that nobody should be allowed to do certain things, even in the privacy of their homes. These are extremists whom I believe are not indicative of the vast majority of those with religious beliefs and practices, any more than Islamic terrorists are indicative of the vast majority of Muslims.

On the other hand, you've got the hardcore atheists who believe that nobody should be allowed to practice their religions. Like Bible-thumpers hating sinners, these atheists hate the "idiots."

Both sides have people on the extremes attempting to foist their viewpoints on others.

You made the point. Extremists on both sides exist. I'm not selective as to which side I find repugnant. I find them both that way. For every Pat Robertson - bothered by every possible sin out there - there are thousands of Steveorinos who counsel those who ask for his counsel and proselytize nobody - except when asked. For every Michael Newdow there are thousands of others who don't see "In God we Trust" being printed on US Currency as being comparable to Jim Crow segregation laws.

I see little difference between Newdow and Robertson.

I don't completely agree. I don't feel at all ashamed for anything that I did not do and had no influence over. I'm not guilty so have no shame attached.

I likewise have no "guilt" or "shame" about that in which I did not participate. Nevertheless, I do look back at history with sadness and hope that we all do - thus to prevent the re-occurrence of the problems to the extent practicable.

;)I [hopefully] don't fall into the extremist camp.
I don't much like extremists of any flavour.

I do however fit in the middle of the piss taking idiot camp. Not bright enough to form a coherent, balanced argument, I [attempt to] use humour to cover my failings.:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Blues,
Dave

That was exactly what I was thinking right from the first word I read...

I don't completely agree. I don't feel at all ashamed for anything that I did not do and had no influence over. I'm not guilty so have no shame attached.

I likewise have no "guilt" or "shame" about that in which I did not participate. Nevertheless, I do look back at history with sadness and hope that we all do - thus to prevent the re-occurrence of the problems to the extent practicable.

100% agree and can only hope that history does not repeat it self..... again.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Blues,
Dave

Nope.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I suppose "shame" was a rather strong word. We, as a species, have done some very bad things, and I think we should acknowledge our collective mistakes and try to avoid them in the present and future.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

100% agree and can only hope that history does not repeat it self..... again.

One of my teachers said this once: The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

Wish I had gotten into this earlier but I predict the poll will come out roughly 10% to 90%; that is to say, roughly the percentage of those people that identify themselves as not being part of any religion to those that do.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

<>

Fixed it.

There's the point. I stated that it goes both ways.

There are extremists on both sides and I abhor them regardless of what side I'm on.

You've got Bible-thumpers who believe that nobody should be allowed to do certain things, even in the privacy of their homes. These are extremists whom I believe are not indicative of the vast majority of those with religious beliefs and practices, any more than Islamic terrorists are indicative of the vast majority of Muslims.

On the other hand, you've got the hardcore atheists who believe that nobody should be allowed to practice their religions. Like Bible-thumpers hating sinners, these atheists hate the "idiots."

Both sides have people on the extremes attempting to foist their viewpoints on others.

You made the point. Extremists on both sides exist. I'm not selective as to which side I find repugnant. I find them both that way. For every Pat Robertson - bothered by every possible sin out there - there are thousands of Steveorinos who counsel those who ask for his counsel and proselytize nobody - except when asked. For every Michael Newdow there are thousands of others who don't see "In God we Trust" being printed on US Currency as being comparable to Jim Crow segregation laws.

I see little difference between Newdow and Robertson.

Well there is this one little difference, Newdow is trying to use the Courts to push his dislike for God and all things religious. Robertson uses his TV Program to push his beliefs.

Well there is this one little difference, Newdow is trying to use the Courts to push his dislike for God and all things religious. Robertson uses his TV Program to push his beliefs.

I'm not sure if it's just worded incorrectly but that he dislikes god is a severe misconception. He does not dislike god, but he knows that he does not exist.

Atheist is a very broad term. how about the other way around, is X acceptable or not acceptable for theists?

What about people who drive colorful automobiles vs grayscale automobiles? What about off-white and cream shades, do those ones count as grayscale or colorful?

It's difficult to say anything for everyone who might fall into one category or another. Let's call the whole thing off.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I do, in the form of EEO laws. Blacks were beat down for ~400 years in this country, and STILL are in certain ways despite all the right laws being in place.

I believe EEO is justified and has been very useful, though I'm hoping we'll not need it for too many more years.

. . =(_8^(1)